Open Arms - Journey

First I'll post the lyrics, then I'll analyze them.

****

Lying beside you, here in the dark
Feeling your heart beat with mine
Softly you whisper, you're so sincere
How could our live be so blind

We sailed on together
Then drifted apart
And here you are by my side

So now I come to you, with open arms
Nothing to hide, believe what I say
So here I am with open arms
Hoping you'll see what your love means to me
Open arms

Living without you, living alone
This empty house seems so cold
Wanting to hold you, wanting you near
How much I wanted you home

But now that you've come back
Turned night into day
I need you to stay.

(Repeat Chorus)

****

Okay, so at first listen (or, first 100 listens), this seems to be a love song.  But taking a look at the words actually written down, you realize it's really a song about reconcilation, not just a love song.  It's one of the most beautiful songs ever written, IMO.  I have always enjoyed the music and I knew all the words, but I never really considered them until recently.  I have a new appreciation for the song.  Is it my favorite Journey song?  Maybe not.  I know why everyone picks it, because it's a great love song.  But do they realize fully what it is about?  It's about second chances, not about first falling in love with someone.  It's about losing them and the two of you finding your way back to each other.

And THAT is what makes this an amazing song.

Comments

Popular Posts