Shel Silverstein

When I was little, my mom used to read to me every night.  This is part of where my love of books comes from.  She bought a book of poems by Shel Silverstein (because his name was closest to my name & when you're, like, 3, that's important).  The only poem I remember from it was called "Spaghetti."  For YEARS (okay, even to this day), I would walk around reciting the first two lines.  People used to think I was making it up because no one else had ever heard of it.  I could never remember the rest of it.  But I LOVED that poem.  It's the only one, even beyond Dr. Seuss, that really stuck with me.  It's funny, now with the internet, I have found the poem and know that it wasn't just something my mom & I imagined.

I have no idea where that book is now.  I may just have to buy a new copy.  It was called "Where The Sidewalk Ends."

And, so...

"Spaghetti"

Spaghetti, spaghetti, all over the place,

Up to my elbows—up to my face,
Over the carpet and under the chairs,
Into the hammock and wound round the stairs,
Filling the bathtub and covering the desk,
Making the sofa a mad mushy mess.
The party is ruined, I’m terribly worried,
The guests have all left (unless they’re all buried).
I told them, “Bring presents.” I said, “Throw confetti.”
I guess they heard wrong
‘Cause they all threw spaghetti!

Comments

Popular Posts